Have you noticed a bothersome, double chin when observing the profile view of your face? A double-chin, medically termed “submental fullness”, is a collection of excess fat underneath the chin area. The first plan of action for many individuals who have a double chin and desire to get rid of it is to begin adhering to a strict diet and exercise regimen. However, it is common for patients to successfully lose weight in all areas of the body except the region underneath the chin. If you have a double chin and have exhausted all options to eliminate it to no avail, Kybella may be a perfect treatment option for you.
Kybella is the first non-invasive, injectable procedure approved by the FDA to eliminate submental fullness. Prior to the creation of Kybella, liposuction and invasive surgical procedures were the only options available to patients to reduce a double chin, causing many patients to neglect seeking treatment.
Patients who qualify for this treatment are those who: are self-conscious about the excess fat under their chin, feel the condition makes them look older or heavier than they actually are, do not want to have surgery, and eat well and exercise but the submental fullness does not subside.
What Is Kybella?
- Kybella is an FDA-approved procedure that is formulated to eliminate submental fat that looks like a double chin. The procedure is non-invasive and involves only minimal social downtime, making it ideal for a majority of patients with busy lifestyles. A key component to the procedure is the injection of deoxycholic acid. The form used in this treatment is identical to the natural form that is present in the body that breaks down dietary fat. The procedure will target and destroy fat cells over the span of a few weeks and offer you permanent results as these destroyed fat cells will never return.
- The treatment starts with a medical professional marking the region of concern and applying a topical numbing agent or ice pack to block any pain that may be present during the process. Generally, 20 to 50 injections will be injected beneath the skin in the area of concern. The deoxycholic acid will target only the fat cells in the treatment site and after a few weeks it will be metabolized by the natural process in the body.
- Kybella treatment can induce excellent outcomes for people who find it difficult to reduce submental fullness without undergoing invasive procedures. Once you finish the treatment plan created by your medical professional tailored to treat your specific needs, you will see a significant decrease in the appearance of your double chin along with an even profile appearance. The majority of patients will have permanent results provided that they follow a healthy lifestyle.
How many Kybella treatments do you need to eradicate a double chin?
Because every individual has a different chin profile, there is no fixed answer to the accurate number of sessions that are needed to produce optimal results. The number of treatments that you personally need will be determined during a consultation with a medical professional. The effectiveness of the treatment will rely on the size of the chin, fat accumulation in the region, and your personal expectations of the results. Each treatment is scheduled one month apart.
On average, patients will need around 2-3 sessions in order to experience substantial results. Outcomes will be seen slowly over 4 to 6 weeks where you will see the improvement and reduction of a double chin. However, as the expected results are accomplished, they will remain permanently. Kybella is the most effective treatment available that has shown long-term benefits for treating submental fullness.
Are all eligible for Kybella treatment?
- Any adult patient, regardless of gender, with the appearance of a double chin can have this treatment after having a thorough consultation with a medical professional. Generally, the person must have a healthy body weight and should not have any medical complications that may interfere with the safety and efficacy of this procedure. Kybella is not suitable for patients who are considered medically obese, as it is not intended to treat bulky fat deposits.
- This procedure is also not suitable for women who are pregnant or planning to be pregnant. Kybella is also not suitable for people who have skin laxity or sagging skin. Your medical expert may combine another kind of treatment for solving sagging skin, such as soft threads.
- It is not recommended to undergo Kybella treatment if you have done any injectable treatments in the targeted region. Hence, it is ideal to speak to a medical professional for knowing your eligibility and the safety of this treatment given your individual health.
Potential side effects:
Generally, Kybella is a safe nonsurgical treatment but includes some minor side effects such as swelling, discomfort, redness, bruising and numbness for a few weeks post-treatment. Even though the social downtime will be minimal in most cases, it will vary across every individual.
There are some reported rare cases of severe adverse effects such as an uneven smile, facial muscle weakness, trouble swallowing and injury to nerves, etc. If you experience any adverse effects, contact your medical provider immediately.