If you are into anti-aging treatments, then you have probably heard the terms “filler” and “wrinkle relaxer.” These rejuvenating procedures are popular in treating common signs of aging, such as wrinkles, fine lines, and volume loss. Though both terms are familiar and sound like a good idea to eliminate skin laxity, you may not fully understand the difference between the two, their benefits and results, and which one would be best for you, or if you need both.
For starters, both treatments are minimally-invasive injectables. They revolutionize anti-aging through safe and non-surgical procedures that result in visible skin improvements.
There are many terms and procedures you may still not understand. So we will give meaning to
the most critical terms. After reading this blog, we hope we can help you decide which treatment
you should get.
What is Filler?
One important difference between dermal filler vs wrinkle relaxer treatment is that dermal filler imitates the original structure of the skin before the wrinkles occurred. It brings back the skin’s youthful appearance by promoting new collagen, elastin, and fats under the skin that we slowly lose when aging. Fillers are formulated with hyaluronic acid, which naturally occurs in the body. Hyaluronic acid is a smooth substance found in skin, connective tissues, and eyes. The main function of hyaluronic acid is to retain water and keep tissues lubricated and moist. As the body ages, it loses hyaluronic acid and essential collagen, which causes your skin to dry out and lose its shape. This dehydration allows fine lines and wrinkles to form.
Dermal fillers help to volumize the skin, reducing wrinkles and giving your face a fuller, more youthful appearance. Dermal fillers are a non-surgical way to give your face more structure, volume, and a refreshed appearance.
What is the Procedure For Dermal Filler?
The procedure for dermal filler treatment is fast and easy. It can be done in the doctor’s office in less than an hour. This procedure is favorable to people who have busy schedules and have trouble finding time to go to their medspa appointment. This minimally invasive treatment requires little to no recovery time. With a few restrictions and advice from the practitioner, you can immediately go back to your normal activities.
The session for filler treatment will follow these steps:
- Before you book for a filler treatment, make sure to discuss your goals and desired result with the doctor or practitioner who will perform the procedure. It is necessary to report all medicine allergies if you have any.
- During the process, the practitioner will start by cleansing the skin area where injections are needed.
- The practitioner will apply a numbing ointment or local anesthetic to the skin. Injections are tolerable, but a freezing gel will be applied to the skin to help the patient avoid any pain.
- The next step is the injection of the filler into the skin. The injection will only take 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how large the injection site is. The practitioner will carefully massage the area of injection to spread the substance.
- After the injection is done, the provider will cleanse the skin of any marks left from the procedure. The recovery process does not require too much restriction to your regular activity, although the doctor may advise you to not exercise for a day or two.
What is the Expected Result?
Dermal fillers are not permanent. The result will only last for 6 months to 2 years depending on how you take care of yourself, the products you use in your skin, and the follow-up treatments you will take.
You will see visible volume in the skin after the treatment. This additional volume will eliminate or reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and saggy skin.
What are Wrinkle Relaxers?
Wrinkle relaxers are the most trusted and popular treatments when it comes to rejuvenating the skin. Wrinkle relaxers, the same as fillers, are a minimally invasive injectable treatment. They are neuromodulators, for example you may have heard of the brands Botox and Xeomin. The injected neuromodulator works to help diminish fine lines and wrinkles by blocking nerve impulses and paralyzing the muscles underneath your skin in the treated area. This will result in the skin feeling relaxed and eradicates wrinkles, creases, and fine lines.
What is the Procedure in Wrinkle Relaxers?
Like fillers, the procedure for wrinkle relaxers will only take 15 to 30 minutes. It is a simple, easy, and fast procedure that does not require surgery.
- You will discuss your desired result with the doctor or the practitioner. This way, the doctor can assess your goals. If you are allergic to any medication, report it to your doctor.
- The doctor will map the site of the face where the injection will be. A numbing ointment may be applied to the skin to avoid any pain, although any pain experienced in this procedure usually is tolerable.
- The doctor will proceed to the injection of the neuromodulator into your skin.
- After the procedure, the doctor will cleanse the area of the injection. Usually, no medication is required after the procedure.
What is the Expected Result?
The result of the procedure will be visible after 5-14 days, depending on the product used for the treatment. The results are temporary and will last up to 3-4 months.
There are types of wrinkle relaxers that you can choose after discussion with your doctor:
For almost 20 years, Botox has been one of the leading rejuvenating treatments that patients trust. They love this treatment because of its easy, fast, and effective results. The treatment takes approximately 10 to 30 minutes; noticeable results appear 5 to 7 days after treatment with full effects at 2 weeks and can last up to 3 to 4 months. Maintenance is required to maintain these results.
Some patients reported that Xeomin results kick in a little faster than Botox. It works similar to Botox by blocking the signals from the nerve to relax the facial muscle. Xeomin is a “naked” form of Botulinum Toxin and contains no protein additives like Botox. The purified structure of Xeomin helps prevent antibody resistance. Wrinkles will start to fade within three to four days after your Xeomin treatment and complete results will be apparent within 14 days. Maintenance is required to maintain these results.